Thursday, July 15, 2010

Podcasts (The best kept secret - and I hate secrets)

So we still have a few weeks until the Podcasting section of our class, but I went ahead and looked up the podcast idea and information through Google, which took me to Wikipedia which gave me some great information. I was suprised at how many podcasts were avaialble and the subjects...
For instance: I am an English Major. For years I have been learning how to write a great paper. I have learned the differences in expectations between teachers. I have honed my skills in configuring a compelling thesis statement and I can make anything a great topic sentence. However, I watched 3 podcasts on good storytelling called Ira Glass on Storytelling #1, #2, #3.
I learned that  when making a video story, I should never write the script like a paper. No thesis statement, no topic sentences, no summary. I would treat the script like an anectote.  A sequence of actions which ask a question (not literally, figuratively) and then an answer to the question. I will write to manipulate the work so that the viewer is always asking the next question, and then getting an answer.
Many times the sequence is great, but has a lousy moment of reflection. And other times, the outcome is exactly the opposite.
Ira Glass said "Failure is a big part of success". If you are not failing, you are not trying -- And one can never be afraid to try it out -- but kill it if it is crap.
He did say that almost everyone who is successful has good taste, but they do crappy work for years before they get it right. The only way to "get it right" is by doing it every day, work on a deadline -- even when you aren't being paid -- and that volume is the only thing that will close the gap between crappy work and the sublime.
Ira Glass is an NPR journalist who has been in the business for 30 years.
Addendum: The two students who shared with the class their podcast ideas did a great job. Itunes.com has a magnificent selection of Podcasts including language selections as well as many other learning resources.

International Educators